Symbolism: An exclusive Interview with up and coming Artist Justin Symbol




Hello all, I know it's been ages since I have posted. However, I'm sure we can all agree that it has been a long cold winter and for many reasons I needed to stay dormant and step away for a bit(I will elaborate further in another post).Anyway, I am a fan coming back in a big way and I thought that writing a post about one of the best new artists around would be the perfect opportunity to do so. I am speaking about none other than Justin Symbol. It has been great to watch Justin come into his own over the past few years, sharing the stage with him and trading ideas with him has been a true blessing for me and I hope more artists have the same rapport and support for one another that Justin and I have. I chose to name this interview "Symbolism" because of the religious cult like fanaticism that his fans(more commonly known as Fuckheads) have taken to Justin and his music. Please enjoy and I hope this gives both his current fans and those who just discovered his music the insight into his sound and how he operates.See all tour dates listed below.

Nate:How long have been playing as a solo artist?

Justin: this project began in the 2014 when I started playing shows alone with just a synth/drum machine, and it expanded from there.

Nate:Past Bands?

Justin:I was in two other notable bands, BLACKBOMBS and Nursing Home, both industrial rock/metal type three pieces. I was in Nursing Home still when I started performing and releasing material under my own name, and it grew from there. By the time I released my debut solo album: V Ω I D H E A D, I had quit Nursing Home and made Justin Symbol the priority.

Nate:Influences?

Justin: O.G. Industrial stuff like Throbbing Gristle,Skinny Puppy and early Ministry, then 90s shit like NIN, Marilyn Manson and Smashing Pumpkins.. I also liked Crystal Castles a lot. Mommy wow, I'm a hipster now!

Nate:What is the Message behind your music?

Justin: I'm just telling my story and how I view the world. And it's pretty damn exciting!

Nate:How did you come up with your stage show & presence?

Justin: I love the glam and theatricality of 70s rockers like [David] Bowie and Alice Cooper. Trashy exploitation films and pop art stuff. Also just the people I hang out with, drag queens, dominatrixes, performance artist's makeup artists etc. all have played a role in my show.

Nate:What can a new fan expect to see & hear at one of your shows?

Justin: Songs they know and love from the record played with a much more rock n roll energy and theatrics, and something highly inappropriate. Someone's always mad at me at the end of each show...

Nate:Tell me about your latest releases?(including remixes & videos)

Justin: I just released the F U C K H E A D remix album, which is remixes of songs from V Ω I D H E A D by electronic/industrial artists like Psyclon Nine, BILE, Statiqbloom, Stereo a Assassin, etc. and also two new songs "Scarecrow" produced by my friend FLO and "Kingdom of Feat", a duet with Verena May. the album is a beast encompassing all genres of electronic music...it really took on a life of it's own, and I'm very proud!

Nate:So you are about to go on your first Nationwide tour with William Control, how did this come about?

Justin:It was a friend of a friend situation, and I'm really excited to be doing this! We are crossing through Nebraska as we speak!

May 17 Webster Studio New York,NY

May 18 Brighton Bar Boston,MA

May 19 VOLTAGE Philadelphia,PA

May 20 The Broad Berry Richmond,VA

May 22 Masquerade Atlanta,GA

May 23 Local 662 Tampa,FL

May 25 TBA Houston,TX

May 26 The Prophet Bar Dallas,TX

May 27 The Greenroom at Warehouse Live Houston,TX

May 28 Korova San Antonio,TX

May 31 Joes Grotto Phoenix,AZ

Jun 03 SOMA San Diego,CA

Jun 05 Chain Reaction Anaheim,CA

Jun 07 Strummers Fresno,CA

Jun 08 Metro Oakland,CA

Jun 11 Studio Seven Seattle,WA

Nate:What are you anticipating on this tour?

Justin:death and chaos! Haha no...I expect to learn and grow much as an artist, and to bond with bandmates:, drummer "Will E Vill", guitarist "Soda" and bassist "Fox", both from Nox Cult!

Nate:What other bands are you hoping to tour with in the future?

Justin: Combichrist, Motionless in White, Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Marilyn Manson, Wednesday 13, Orgy, Deadstar Assembly

Nate:Tell me about your Indie Gogo campaign? Why are you trying to raise funds? and what can people get as a reward for donating?

Justin:We are raising funds to make our first tour a success by ensuring we have enough money for gas, food and shelter. We've all saved but unexpected shit comes up, and the biggest challenge by far is having gas money to drive all the way back to NYC from the last tour date in Seattle! Were offering awesome merchandise packages as a reward for donations!

Check out the campaign here:

Other Links:

Official Website: www.justinsymbol.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/justinsymbol

Instagram @justinsymbol




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A funny thing happened at a Red light

The Big Empty

Can I play with Madness?